28th May 2015, University of Derby, Kedleston Road, Derby, DE22 1GB
Women of all faiths and none engage in feminist activism that challenges patriarchy and creates spaces for women’s agency. Universities are in great need of such input for student guidance, particularly for female students (Guest, Aune, Sharma and Warner 2013, and Phipps and Young That’s what she said 2012) Scholarly discussion about such ‘faithful’ feminisms is well-established; however there is little scholarship that brings together feminist thinkers. A unique event at the University of Derby brings together women of all faith and none to discuss, compare and contrast their different feminisms and activisms and to thus propose templates for campus activities.
The conference will address the following issues:
1. Are faith and belief compatible with feminism, or not, and why?
2. How are the intersections between religion, belief and gender experienced by students in the higher/education system?
3. Can women work together across religion or belief differences, how?
Our confirmed guest speakers include:
· Dr Kristin Aune speaking on feminist spirituality as lived religion, Coventry University
· Dr Opinderjit Thakkar speaking on Sikh women’s experiences, University of Wolverhampton
· Dr Suha Shakkour speaking on Palestinian Christian women, University of Derby
There are two ways to book your place
1. If you would prefer to bring your own refreshments and food, the event is free to attend. To book your place please send an e-mail to K.Bagri@derby.ac.uk providing the following details: Full name, organizational affiliation (if any), address, telephone number and e-mail address
2. If you would like the university to provide refreshments and a sandwich lunch, this will cost £10. Please register by filling the form using the link provided and making your payment online – http://unishop.derby.ac.uk/browse/product.asp?compid=1&modid=1&catid=195
3. We have a few travel bursaries of £50. If you would like to avail of this, please send us a brief paragraph stating why this bursary should be awarded to you.