Sexual Harassment in Higher Education (SHHE) Conference
Wednesday 2 December 2015
12.00pm – 6.30pm at Goldsmiths, University of London
Richard Hoggart Building Small Cinema
Registration is free and everyone is welcome.
Details can be found on the website: https://shhegoldsmiths.wordpress.com/
Keynote speakers: Dr. Alison Phipps (University of Sussex), Professor Heidi Mirza (Goldsmiths), and Professor Sara Ahmed (Goldsmiths)
Sexual harassment of students by academic staff is prevalent in higher education but this issue has received little scrutiny. This one day, workshop-based conference aims to investigate the ways sexual harassment in higher education unfolds institutionally and how it intersects with other embodied experiences of power. Key questions for the conference include:
- How does the problem of sexual harassment (fail to) appear in institutional space? What mechanisms work to hide it?
- How can sexual harassment be discussed in its complicated relation to power, including the hierarchical power of the university and other forms of power bound up with experiences of sexual harassment?
- Specifically, how do race, class, gender, sexuality or cis privilege play out in experiences of sexual violence in universities?
The conference is organised around two keynote presentations and breakout workshop sessions to enable participants to engage in smaller group discussions. These sessions include:
- Intersecting forms of power and the experiences of black and minority ethnic women
- Trans* activists and anti-harassment activism addressing sexual harassment and trans* discrimination in higher education
- Institutional and legal responsibilities
- Building inter-institutional links and networks
We encourage postgraduate and undergraduate students, academic and professional staff, student unions and other groups that deal with sexual harassment in higher education to attend. There will be time during the day to share knowledge, build networks and learn skills.
To register: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sexual-harassment-in-higher-education-tickets-18885669546
The conference is organised by Anna Bull, Tiffany Page and Leila Whitley
For any questions please contact Anna Bull: firstname.lastname@example.org.