We are excited to announce the second Swedish STS Summer School, being held August 22-26, 2016 in a beautiful former monastery at Lake Vättern in Vadstena, Sweden. The summer school is organised by Tema T – Technology and Social Change at Linköping University. It will provide a platform for PhD students to interact with eminent scholars in the field of Science and Technology Studies (STS) and engage in discussions on current topics in STS.
This year’s theme is Bodies and/in STS. The anchor teacher, who will be present throughout the week, is Cynthia Kraus, PhD, University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
Four additional main speakers will present their ideas and will be available for discussion and feedback:
- Laura Watts, associate professor in Science and Technology Studies (STS), IT University of Copenhagen
- Tora Holmberg, professor at Department of Sociology, Uppsala University
- Kajsa Ellegård, professor at Tema T – Technology and Social Change, Linköping University
- Corinna Kruse, lecturer at Tema T – Technology and Social Change, Linköping University
- Kristin Zeiler, Pro Futura Scientia Fellow and Associate Professor, Tema T – Technology and Social Change, Linköping University
- Pinar Yoldas, cross-disciplinary artist/researcher, Durham, North Carolina
In the second Swedish STS Summer School we engage with bodies in multiple ways. We will look at bodies and/in medicine, how physical bodies and bodily norms are shaped, how norms are enacted and renegotiated in/by/through bodies and technologies, and how knowledge about bodies can be transformed and renegotiated through studying non-human bodies.
Applications are due March 31, 2016. For full details, please take a look at the Course Overview.