FWSA AGM 2019 and FWSA’s 30th Anniversary Celebration (joint event with City, University of London’s Gender and Sexualities Research Centre)
Wednesday 16 October 2019
12pm–12.45pm and 1pm–6pm
Followed by a drinks reception
We are pleased to announce the details of the FWSA AGM 2019 and an event to celebrate FWSA’s 30th Anniversary. The two events will be held on Wednesday 16 October 2019, at City, University of London, alongside the launch of City’s new Gender and Sexualities Research Centre.
FWSA AGM 2019
The FWSA AGM 2019 will be held 12pm-12.45pm. All FWSA members are encouraged to attend to discuss important changes at the association, including a number of new initiatives. We would really appreciate member support at an important time for the FWSA and for feminist practice more broadly. Lunch will be provided courtesy of Feminist Theory journal. Please register for the AGM here. Tickets are free but registration is required for catering numbers.
FWSA’s 30th Anniversary Event and Launch of City, University of London’s Gender and Sexualities Research Centre
Our AGM will be followed by the event ‘Feminist Dilemmas, Feminist Hope? 30 years of FWSA’ and the launch of City’s Gender and Sexualities Research Centre. This event will take place 1pm-6pm, followed by a drinks reception.
The event will be in dialogue with other feminist organisations and themed around ‘Feminist Hope, Feminist Dilemmas’. We want to speak particularly to ideas of making space for feminism in the academy, and the ways in which feminists can mobilise as sources of collectivity and solidarity. We hope the day will develop feminist conversations within and between feminist organisations, individuals and movements, as well as providing its own space for intersectional feminist solidarity at such an important moment for feminist practice.
The day will include 3 panels:
- ‘Claiming Space for Feminism in the Precarious Academy’ (chaired by Prof Rosalind Gill)
- ‘Publishing as Feminist Activism’ (hosted by Feminist Theory) (chaired by Dr Stacy Gillis)
- ‘Feminist Mobilisations: Hopefulness, Solidarity and Collectivity’ (chaired by Dr Jo Littler)
Speakers on the day will include:
- Dr Sarah Burton (City, University of London)
- Jess Butler (Lancaster University)
- Estelle du Boulay (Director of Rights of Women)
- Dr Diana Fox (Bridgewater State University)
- Dr Jo Grady (University of Sheffield, UCU General Secretary)
- Dr Helen Hester (University of West London)
- Prof Sarah Kember (Goldsmiths University)
- Dr Sarah Lonsdale (City, University of London)
- Prof Heidi Mirza (Goldsmiths University)
- Lola Olufemi (author of Feminism Interrupted)
- Dr Tiffany Page (University of Cambridge, co-founder of The 1752 Group)
- Dr Maud Perrier (University of Bristol, Experiments in Collective Care)
- Dr Ruth Pearce (University of Leeds)
- The Res-Sisters (feminist collective of early career researchers)
- Prof Lynne Segal (Birkbeck, University of London)
- Dr Emma Shepherd (City, University of London)
- Sophia Siddiqui (Institute of Race Relations)
- Dr Francesa Sobande (Cardiff University)
- Dr Mary-Ann Stephenson (Director of Women’s Budget Group)
- Prof Sylvia Walby (City, University of London, founding Chair of FWSA)
Further speakers will be confirmed closer to the date. Throughout the day, there will also be the opportunity to view the FWSA archive as part of the anniversary celebrations.
This event is free to attend but spaces are limited. Please register for the anniversary event here.
Please note: if you wish to attend both the AGM and the anniversary event you will need to register separately for each event.
Further details about location and accessibility can be found on the Eventbrite pages. If you have further queries about the day, please email: email@example.com.