** The 2016 competition is now open **
The FWSA UK and Ireland invites applications for the 2016 Ailsa McKay Travel Grant for PhD and Early Career members of the Association.
Professor Ailsa McKay was a leading feminist economist who was a founding member of both the Scottish Women’s Budget Group and the European Gender Budget Network. In addition, Professor McKay was also a friend to the FWSA and a supporter of early career researchers. To commemorate Professor McKay’s work we would like to offer three members a travel grant (1 of £100 and 2 of £50) to enable attendance at a conference.
- The potential academic significance of the research
- The potential impact of the presented research to achieve impact outside of academia (a key driver of Professor McKay’s work)
- Demonstrated need for the travel grant (i.e. lack of alternative funds available)
This scheme is open to PhD students and early career researcher members of the FWSA who are not in established academic posts (e.g. fixed-term or hourly paid positions, with no limit on the number of years post-PhD) with limited or no access to institutional funds for conference attendance.
The grant can be used to support any costs towards conference attendance including travel, accommodation, fees, and associated costs such as childcare. The grant can be used for conferences taking place during 2017.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form, including a copy of the paper abstract;
- Confirmation of acceptance of paper/abstract;
- A letter of reference from PhD supervisor or Head of Department/School which will include confirmation of lack of available institutional funds.
The successful recipient will be expected to write a post for the FWSA blog discussing their presentation at the conference and the value of the travel grant in the promotion of feminist and women’s studies in secondary and higher education.
The deadline for applications is 15th December 2016, and applicants will be notified of the outcome in early January 2017. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org; any enquiries about the award can also be directed to the FWSA Chair at this address.